Tuesday, April 10, 2012

"You can only see as far as your headlights"

I've been busy with so many classes and creating new ones that I've had very little time for painting from my heart and that leaves me ouching~! Is that a word??? And yet I'm soooo greatful for the many artists I am working with. You inspire me daily`! Now in the middle of all these classes I'm having my bedroom painted and redoing much of it. And did I add I'm preparing for a plein air workshop in my garden in May. My friend Nikki is a very talented artist and is doing a great job giving me a new bedroom. I've struggled for months wanting to make these changes and unable to make the decisions needed to get going. I still am not sure what color my accents will be. I should have called Amy Freeze, who could have solved it for me in an instant. This morning I ran upon a quote by E.L Doctorow from Ann Lamont's book "Bird by Bird"
“writing a novel is like driving a car at night. You can only see as far as your headlights, but you can make the whole trip that way.” You don’t have to see where you’re going, you don’t have to see your destination or everything you will pass along the way. You just have to see two or three feet ahead of you."
Lamont also quoted Annie Dillard:
"Day by day you have to give the work before you all the best stuff you have, not saving up for later projects."
I would love to hear your experiences as you progress in your artistic journey. It encourages me and others when we hear how differently we make our trips to success in whatever path we choose to take.

No comments: