Thursday, December 27, 2012

It's been a really great year~!

Over the last couple of months I have been fortunate to paint several commissions.  I was also asked to come up with a Van Gogh looking painting for a class this Thursday night (tonight) in Pulaski at the Cardin Warehouse.  These have all stretched me a bit out of my comfort zone.  I realized as I was painting each one that this is one of the things I love so much about art.  Though my closest friends would probably say I "whined" a bit while stressing over "will they like it",  the truth is I love the stretching it brings.
This reminds me of last spring when I was training to climb Mt. LaConte in Gatlinburg.  The first time I climbed the steep and long boat ramp near my home, I found it very difficult.  Within no time I could climb it multiple times and really fast with long strides.  The training I did prepared me to be able to really enjoy what I could not have even done a few months earlier.
I find painting and creating art to be very similar.  The more I try something new .... something I haven't previously attempted, the more I enjoy it and the better I become.
I just read something from Elizabeth St. Hilaire Nelson's blog that I loved.  She asked: "When was the last time you did something for the first time?"
Many of you know that a year ago I hit a mile stone in birthdays and I decided it will be my best decade ever.  Now one year later, I can tell you it has been awesome.  From para sailing, climbing Mt. LaConte, traveling in Europe (part of the time spent alone), painting in several maximum security prisons and even more important meeting so many new artists who inspire me constantly.  The best part of this year has been getting to enjoy sharing my life with such an awesome family both biological and chosen.  What a year it's been~! Look out next year~! Here I come~!   LOL 

No comments: